Alright today on Repairs101 I�m going to
go over some of the options that exist for when the power is out and your heat is off.
You know, not very long ago every dwelling had a fireplace or hearth for cooking, heating
or both. Once iron and steel were developed open fireplaces fell out of fashion because
they have a tendency to spit hot embers out while people are sleeping and houses burned
to the ground. People died. It was a serious problem.
Nowadays fire is generally kept safe and secure inside fireproof steel boxes where neither
cats nor basketballs can upset them and unleash the horrific power of fire.
Every year people die from carbon monoxide poisoning and asphyxiation because of improperly
exhausted emergency heaters. An open flame is extremely dangerous and not
advisable unless every precaution is taken to control and monitor the flame.
We�re told that propane, butane, kerosene, alcohol, olive oil and paraffin are all safe
for indoor use � given adequate ventilation. These beer can stoves, pop can stoves, soda
can stoves, penny can stoves whatever you like to call them – they are awesome little
devices but they are best used outdoors; as you can see this one got out of control very
quickly. Now the internet is full of flower pot heater
DIY�s and pre-fabricated earthenware heaters but the bottom line is that they will only
generate as much heat as you give them fuel for.
I ran this experiment several times and I just kept adding more and more candles because
I wasn�t satisfied with the amount of heat that it was giving off.
Here�s what happens when you get a dozen or so together after about an hour and a half
has elapsed. Not enough heat to warm the room but plenty enough fire to burn the house down.
Alright thanks for watching and don�t forget to subscribe!